Sunday, November 23, 2008

Emergency Room

Well this hive situation has turned a little more serious. Last night the hives got really bad. They were REALLY bad on my hips (I was gonna post pictures but they are on my phone and it's just gross haha). They were all over my hips but they were reallllllyy big. Jeremiah even said he hasnt seen them this big before. So i put on some calomine lotion, took some benedryll and went to lay down. As I was in the bathroom all of a sudden my lips started swelling. It felt like hives on the inside of my lips. I don't think at first jeremiah thought it was real... then he could start seeing my face to swell and hives on my forehead. I sort of paniced. I had heard that they can spread to your throat and cause you to sufficate. that probably didnt help the situation I'm sure. So we called my mom and after we waited to see if the benedryll would help anything once it kicked in... well it didn't. And so a neighbor and my mom said it's better to be at the hospital incase something gets really worse and just to be safe. That was the longest car ride of my life because I was soo nervous that it was even harder to breath.

We get there and we were the only ones in the waiting room which was reassuring because I knew we wouldnt have to wait an hour. We got in right away and they said... "so are you itching?"and I said yes and showed them my sides and they were like "woah those are big hives" so they took me back to a room and I had to pee in a cup to make sure I wasn't pregnant before they gave me medicine.. I'm not :) So they doctor came in and said the only thing they can do since my face is now swelling is give me a steroid and a heavy duty dose of benedryll and hope it goes down because only an allergist can find out the trigger. THey asked me (like everyone else) if anything in my life has changed.. soap, detergent, lotion, food, environment.. we said no. So they explained what I need to do and to come back if my face swells again like this. Then a nurse came in and I was making jokes everywhere cuz I was so nervous and they he tells me to pick a side to give me my shot. I thought he meant arm.. but he didn't.. it was practically in my butt and then he gave me like 4 other pills. I immediately started feeling better after the shot. I was reallllly sleepy (so much medicine) and so i layed there for a while in those pretty gowns and Jeremiah sat by me the whole time. He did so well and I know he was nervous.

They came back in and said my face looked so much better. Sent me home with some medicine to take for the next 5 days to see if that helps before i see an allergist.

Needless to say it was a long night. Got home really late. I was supposed to speak in all 3 services and obviously that didnt happen so Im proud of jeremiah for stepping up and being a great husband. Hopefully I will go to the film festival tonight cuz it's just sitting all night and the week will go fine. Just glad I am ok and still kinda worried it will come back but hopefully the medicine will help.

Thanks for all your prayers and help!


karebearg1 said...

I am glad you are doing better. Hopefully the allergist can figure out what is going on with you. It's so hard knowing something wrong but not knowing what.

I will be praying for you!

Stacey said...

That is so scary! I remember my Mom's lip started swelling like that once and then her throat started closing off. We think it might have been pumpkin since it was about this same time of year. Weird huh?

You'll have to keep us updated. I'll be praying that you get the answers you need at the allergist!